wickedshizuku

Shizuku's Sleepy Reviews

Ill mannered, bad tempered, and set in my ways. When I write a review I'm starting a conversation. Not writing a f#%^#ng book report. Don't like it then go the f^%k away!

Murder Most Frothy
The Complete Fairy Tales
Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Richter, Lily Owens, Arthur Rackham
Pirates!
Celia Rees
Close Kin: Book II -- The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy by Dunkle, Clare B. (2006) Paperback
Clare B. Dunkle
Gardens of the Moon
Steven Erikson

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)Storm Front by Jim Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So far I'm really liking this style of writing. It's completely different from reading a female author's perspective for obvious reasons. I haven't run into any nasty over dramatized romance.
I honestly wasn't even expecting a male protagonist. I did like the character Harry Dresden. He was honest, simple, and at times lacking on common sense.
Bob the skull, Mister, and Murphy are all excellent characters. There were plenty of action scenes, and I loved the battle with the toad demon.
Another thing that I seemed to like is the feel of the plot and what it gave off. I was reminded of the movie Se7en. If you've never seen it you won't know what I'm talking about. On a scale of book series only in the settings wise would it be compared to Chicagoland Vampires. I've found that a lot of series are trying to glorify Chicago, and I'm not a really big fan of Chicago.
Other than that it was an enjoyable read, and I hope you can enjoy it as well.